The Development Services Department is charged with the following:
- Provide for the community's health, safety, and welfare through the enforcement of Building and Health Codes, as well as Zoning Ordinances.
- To serve as a resource of information on questions relating to the Code of Ordinances, Building Codes, Planning and Zoning regulations, and the Comprehensive Plan.
- Utilizing the website to better inform and serve our citizens.
The Code Compliance Office works proactively to ensure proper observance of the City's ordinances, state laws, and applicable codes as they pertain to illegal signage, high grass/weeds, junk/debris/trash, nuisances, inoperable vehicles, and illegal dumping. Additionally, the office oversees the City's tree ordinance and permitting of signs.
Inspections are scheduled by using the online Inspection Request form.
Inspections may be placed at any time. The cut-off time for next business day inspections is 4:00 p.m. Inspections received after 4:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the 2nd day after.
Inspections are NOT to be scheduled with the inspectors.
Contractor Work Hours
Construction hours are as follows:
Monday through Sunday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
We ask that as a courtesy to Bellaire citizens, contractors start work later on Saturdays and Sundays. The City appreciates your understanding.
Update to the City's Building Code
As of January 1, 2019, the following shall be deemed the building codes of the City of Bellaire and shall be controlling as to all the matters in relation thereto and become effective on January 1st, 2019.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 Internation Swimming Pool, Spa Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
All of the above-mentioned codes will retain the City's Code of Ordinance amendments and any questions regarding this matter should be addressed to the Building Official at 713-662-8232.
2019 Food Dealer Permit – Change to Requirements
New applicants and renewals for the 2019 Calendar year FDP are required to have state or nationally recognized certification.
You may complete any of the State of Texas or nationally accredited Food Manager Certification programs listed on the DSHS website.
We will only accept state or nationally recognized Food Manager's Certification that is approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). City of Houston Food Manager Certification will no longer be valid for a City of Bellaire Food Dealer's Permit (FDP).
Inspection Request Update
As of June 1st, 2018, the inspection request line will no longer be active. All inspection requests are to be made online at www.bellairetx.gov/inspectionrequest. Inspections are not to be scheduled directly with inspectors.
Inspections can be scheduled for next business day only. The cut-off time is at 4 p.m. and requests computer-dated by or before 4 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day. Requests received after 4 p.m. will be scheduled for the following business day.
If you are having trouble scheduling an inspection online, please call the Development Services front desk staff at 713-662-8230.